The Moulson family originally came from Emley, near Wakefield but established themselves in Bowling and began making fire bricks from the clay that was found under the better-bed coal seams.
Miles and his son John became prestigious builders of expanding town of Bradford. One of their first contracts was to erect Britannia Mills at the behest of Mr Ellis Cunliffe Lister for Christopher Waud & Co in 1836/37. They also won the contract to construct the Bowling tunnel on the Lancashire – Yorkshire Railway.
In 1852 William, son of John and David son of Miles joined the firm. William would go one to become one of the alderman for the town.
This new injection of blood, the firm obtained contracts to build large portions of Saltaire for Sir Titus Salt, including the bridge of the river and canal, the warehousing, co
mbing sheds, offices, dining hall stables for the Mill and the Congregational Church. At about the same time they were engaged in the building of Barkerend Mills for Messrs Garnett.; Lumb Lane Mills and d for James Drummond.
When Miles Drummond died the firm became John Moulson & Son and continued as such until the death of his brother John in 1868. As John Moulson & Son, the firm built the extensive mills in Springfield Street, Bowling for Sir Henry Ripley, Messrs Mitchell Bros.’ works at the corner of Bowling Back Lane and Manchester Road and Horton Lane Chapel and Schools.
Illustration here is of the property of John Moulson and Sons in Bradford. It was included in the book The Centuries Progress originally published in 1893.
In 1876, Alderman William Moulson took his two sons, Angus and Rufus into the partnership and subsequently the firm built, Mannville Chapel and Schools and several of the Board Schools, further combing sheds, warehouses and other large buildings of commerce.
His monumental gravestone was designed by John Throp.