James Law was born on 18 September 1816 in Scotland. His father was an ardent Presbyterian; his mother belonged to the Episcopal Church.
In his youth he was interested in the Catholic Emancipation Bill and at that time his parents died – and he did not have any brothers or sisters. He was apprenticed to a draper at Edinburgh, then worked in a draper’s shop in Leamington. In 1842 he was then fortunate to be appointed by Mr Douglas as bookkeeper in the office of Russell, Douglas & Co. in Bradford. He became a member of the Mechanic Institute and a few years later elected to a seat on the directorate. For three periods he was President. About 1852 he became a partner in the business of Russell, Douglas & Co. and then rose up to become Head of the Firm, renaming it as Law, Russell & Co., with his eldest son Duncan Law a partner.
When he came to Bradford, he became connected to the Horton Lane Congregationalists; for about 30 years, he was a deacon of that church and took an active part in the Sunday Schools. For many years he occupied the post of Treasurer & Chairman of the Congregational Home Missionary Society. He laid about 12 foundation stones.
In 1863 he was selected onto the Town Council, sitting on the Aldermanic Bench of the Bradford Corporation until the time of his death, being then the senior member. In 1866 he was JP for the West Riding and on the Commission of the Peace for the Borough of Bradford. In 1867 he was elected as the 14th Mayor of Bradford. He also served as vice-chairman of the Finance & General Purposes Committee and Street Improvement Committee, enabling the erection of suitable markets, including having St James named after him and Kirkgate being regarded as a fine example of work he was responsible for.
For more than 25 years he was director of Bradford Library. In 1872 he was President of the Chamber of Commerce and also in 1910/11. For 25 years he was Chairman of the Board of Governors of Bradford Girls Grammar School. He was a magistrate, Chairman of the Income Tax Commissioners at Bradford, etc. etc.
He married Ann Avery Duncan, born in 1831 in Lanark, Glasgow, the only child of George Duncan of Glasgow. The wedding on 20 February 1849 was at St. Cuthbert’s, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland. They had 6 children, 4 daughters and 2 Sons (Duncan and Robert). One daughter married Major Harrison and another married Gustav Hoffman.
In 1851 the family were residing at 5 Little Horton Lane, Bradford, James (a Stuff Merchant) with Anne his wife and son Duncan George b. on 16 November 1849, baptised 6 January 1850 in Bradford. They had 2 female servants, a nurse from Bradford and a house-servant from Scotland.
By 1861 they had moved to 10 Claremont, Little Horton, Bradford, now with Duncan, Robert James b. on 28 June 1853 and Helen Duncan b. on 18 January 1855, baptised 20 May 1855, all Scholars, plus Anne Avery b. 30 August 1857 and Leonora b. in April that year (1861), both born in Bradford. They were looked after by 3 new servants, a Monthly Nurse, Nurse and a Cook.
By 1871 they had made their final move to Bolton House, 18 Lister Lane, Bolton, Bradford. James was now a Merchant, Alderman and Magistrate. Their children bar Robert James are with them and Duncan is now a Merchant, plus another daughter Lillian Eveline b. Oct – Dec 1866. They had 6 Domestic Servants: Cook, Lady’s Maid, 2 House Maids, Laundry Maid and Kitchen Maid.
By 1881 James (now only claiming to be a Stuff Merchant again) and Anne only had Leonora and Lillian (a Scholar) with them, plus a Grand-Daughter Margaret Constance Duncan Law b. Oct-Dec 1874 (a Scholar). They now only had 4 Domestic Servants: Cook, Housemaid, Scullery Maid and Under Housemaid.
James Law died on 13 May 1883 aged 66. He was esteemed in all circles and walks of life and none more trusted. He died due to a weak heart, first experienced in the Summer of 1882. In October of that year, he attended the Bradford Chamber of Commerce, the autumnal meeting of the Associated Chambers of Commerce at Gloucester to debate the Bankruptcy Laws, giving one of his best speeches which then made him realise that he could no longer attend the autumnal meeting of the Congregational Union at Bristol. He went to Torquay to better his health, residing at the Imperial Hotel. As this didn’t happen, he resigned his Chairmanship of the Bradford School Board, a position he held for 6 years.
The funeral was held on the 19 May at noon and he was buried in Undercliffe Cemetery. It was just before 11:30 am that the cortège set off from Bolton House and for the first time in history went through Peel Park. An hour previously deputations from public bodies and institutions had gathered. Earlier, members of the Corporation had assembled at the Town Hall and when the bell was tolled (as it was at Bolton Church too), they set off. On the way blinds were drawn. At Peel Park they fell in in front of the hearse which was drawn by 4 cross-bred Belgian horses. At the head of the procession were 40 police constables of the West Riding under the charge of Superintendent Symonds plus Inspectors Forrest and Varley, then 120 of the Bradford Borough Police with 3 inspectors under the charge of Chief Constable Withers and Superintendent Laycock. Following those were members of the Liberal Club, the Council of the Mechanics institute, Airedale College, Bradford Library, Bradford School Board, Horton Lane Chapel, Chamber of Commerce, Principles of Bradford Old Bank, Magistrates, Bradford Corporation, Chief Mourners (including his two sons) and employees of his firm. Bringing up the rear was an unusual large number of private carriages (including those of Messrs. Titus Salt, Robert Kell, Sir Jacob Behrens and Briggs Priestley) and lastly 10 two-horse broughams and a number of cabs. On arrival at Undercliffe Cemetery the police formed a cordon round the grave vault and the coffin taken into the Nonconformist Chapel for the service, then taken to the grave site about 15 yards from the SW corner of the chapel. The vault is 8ft. by 6ft. and could hold 10 adults. Already in it was his infant daughter of 12 months who died 21 May 1852 and Helen Gray Duncan (a relative) who died 29 April 1855. The hand polished coffin was furnished in brass with an inscription.
In 1891 Bolton House was listed at 21 (not 18) Lister Lane, Bradford with Anne the Head of Household living on her own means with a visitor Jane Wales (53) also living on her own means. However, they needed 5 Domestic Servants to look after them: Cook, Waitress, Housemaid, Lady’s Maid and Kitchen Maid.
In 1901 Anne was on her own in Bolton House, again with the 5 Domestic Servants.
Anne Avery Law passed away at Bolton House, Bradford on 28 February 1907, age 76. In her will she left an estate of £18,160 2s 3d. Probate dated 23 December 1902 was grated to her son Duncan George Law, Stuff Merchant of Hawksworth Hall, Guiseley, and her son-in-law William Earnest Tetley, Solicitor of 8 Piccadilly, Bradford. She left £500 to her grandson Benjamin Alan Duncan Harrison, £25 each to her sons-in-law Gustavus Hoffman & William Henry Horrocks and her daughter-in-law Sarah Law. Other smaller sums were made to her servants. The residue of her property she left to her children Duncan George Law, Anne Avery Hoffman, Leonora Horrocks and Lillian Eveline Tetley.
So, what happened to James and Anne’s family?
Duncan G Law, JP was educated at the Bradford High School and entered into business with his father in the firm of Law Russell & Co, Stuff Merchants in 1867. He was the chairman of the Bradford Girls Grammar School, a governor of the Boys Grammar School and the President of the Bradford Mechanics’ Institute. He was also a Commissioner of Taxes and a past President and Auditor of the Bradford Chamber of Commerce. He loved literature and was an ardent rose grower.
Duncan George Law married Emily Laycock, b. Jul-Sep 1852 in Keighley, the daughter of William Laycock and Susan née Wilkinson. The wedding took place Oct-Dec 1873 at Knaresborough, Yorkshire. In 1881 they were living at 19 North Park Road, Manningham, Bradford, James a Stuff Merchant, with two daughters, Elsie Millicent b. 6 January 1876 and Coralie Ava b. Oct-Dec 1878, both in Bradford. They were looked after by 4 Domestic Servants: Governess Teacher, Cook, Housemaid and Maid.
In 1891 they hadn’t moved. There was Duncan and his wife with 7 children, all born in Bradford, including Elsie & Coralie, but now with Margaret Constance Duncan Law b. 1874 (she was staying with her grandparents in 1881), James Duncan Law b. Jan-Mar 1882, Olive Gwendoline Law b. Jan-Mar 1888, Malcolm Colin M Law b. Jul-Sep 1889 & William Kenneth Law b. Apr-Jun 1891. They had a visitor, 14-year-old Scholar Clarice M Armitage from Manchester. Looking after them were 5 Servants: General Servant, Nurse, Under Nurse, Cook & Waitress.
On 26 March 1892 they had another son, Ralph Arnold Law.
On 21 June 1899 they took on a 13-year lease of The Manor & Estate of Hawksworth of over 2300 acres comprising The Hall, an old Jacobean Family Mansion with its pleasure grounds & gardens, 15 Farms and Bradford Golf Club and links. King James I was entertained there. Duncan had preserved its interesting features when on 21 April 1901 he Offered for Sale Hawksworth Moor, The Rifle Range and Woods & Plantations, an area of c. 500 acres.
In May 1900 an action was brought against Duncan G Law and his partners in Law, Russell & Co. of Bradford. Matters were amicably arranged without admitting any liability and all imputations withdrawn. [Duncan G Law had a 39.5% share in the firm]
In 1901 he still resided at The Hall, Hawksworth, Wharfedale as a Stuff Merchant, but only with Coralie and Olive, plus two visitors: Gertrude Barrett 21 from Manchester and Annie Barrett 17 from Liverpool (both single). They had 6 Servants: Cook, 4 Housemaids and a Kitchen Maid. So, what happened? James wife Emily and their children James, Elsie, William and Ralph could not be found. But Margaret was a visitor at Highfield, Clarence Drive, Harrogate to John Taylor, a retired Solicitor living on his own means and his daughter Alice; and Malcolm was a Scholar at Streete Court boarding school, at Westgate-on-Sea (near Margate), Kent. However, James Duncan Law appeared when he married Hilda Marion Green Jan-Mar 1908 in Luton, Bedfordshire. And in 1911 James Duncan Law was a Stuff Merchant and Employer/Company Director at Fairfax Hall of 10 rooms at Menston (near Otley), Leeds, Yorkshire, with his wife Hilda Marion Law and daughters Susannah Marion Duncan Law b. 1909 at Menston and Mary Duncan Law b. 1911 (at 5 weeks old) also in Menston. They had 4 Domestic Servants: Cook, Housemaid, Nurse and a Hospital (Monthly) Nurse.
In June 1904 Duncan Law was appointed onto the Committee of inquiry as to why some classes of dress goods imported from abroad (France) are not successfully produced in Bradford. He was re-elected in February 1906.
On the 2 July 1904 he was elected onto the Commission of the Peace for the City of Bradford.
On the 13 September 1904 he had an accident; he could not attend the annual soiree at the Bradford Mechanic’s Institute on the 29th to distribute the prizes.
His eldest daughter Elsie Millicent Law married the Rev. Adam William Ross (b. Apr-Jun 1859 in Liverpool, Lancashire) Jul-Sep 1908 in Wharfedale.
On the 21 July 1909 Duncan Law was Chairman of the meeting of the Bradford Chamber of Commerce to hear the results of the ballot on the various resolutions dealing with preferential trade and Free Trade. Passed by a very slim majority.
On 24 November 1909, as Chairman of the Governors of the Bradford Girls Grammar School, Duncan Law was presenting certificates to the students. With regard to Oxford and Cambridge certificates they stood at the head of the list for the whole of England. The Boys’ Grammar School stood second to Rugby. Bradford could not do much better than that!
In 1909 Olive Gwendoline Law was in the draw for the qualifying round of the Golf Challenge Bowl of the Yorkshire Ladies County Club. [Can’t be certain, but she could have married Arthur J Hicks Jul-Sep 1927 in Sculcoates near Hull. There was this marriage, but they don’t seem to appear in the records since.]
In 1911 Duncan Law was still at Hawksworth Hall with just 1 male and 6 females. [In 1901 he had 6 female servants, so one might assume that these 6 females were the same as in 1901] Oddly though, also in 1911 at Hawksworth Hall (now of 21 rooms!) were Coralie Ava Law (32), Malcolm Colin McGregor Law (21), Stuff Merchant, and William Kenneth Law (20), Clerk to an Accountant (all 3 single) with 5 servants: 4 housemaids and a Kitchen Maid! At this time, Ralph Arnold Law was a 19-year-old Schoolboy at Aldenham School, Elstree, Watford, Hertfordshire, a boy’s school for 188 pupils from 13 to 19 years of age arranged in ‘houses’ (e.g., Mrs. Beeton’s house) run by the Headmaster Alfred Cooke. To maintain such premises there were Matrons, Maids, Cooks, Clerks, a Coachman, Caretakers and of course Schoolmasters.
William Kenneth Law married Sarah A Brayshaw Oct-Dec 1913 in Wharfedale.
Malcolm Colin McGregor Law, a Lieutenant & Adjutant in the 6th Duke of Wellington’s Regiment, was killed in action in late December 1915. Captain William Kenneth Law of the 2nd-6th Duke of Wellington’s and Lieutenant Ralph Arnold Law of the 6th Yorkshires were badly wounded and each lost a leg in WW1, Ralph in September 1916.
Ralph Arnold Law married Katherine H Woodman Oct-Dec 1918 at St. George Hanover Square, London.
In 1919 Coralie Ava Law was a Trades Union member with the National Union of Railways as a Laundress age 42.
At 2 am on 22 April 1920 Duncan Law passed away at Hawksworth Hall, Guiseley aged 71 when his heart trouble became more acute. He left a widow, Emily Law, the daughter of William Laycock and Susan née Wilkinson of Keighley and Bolton Park, Skipton-in-Craven; son James Duncan Law the Belgian Consul at Bradford; and eldest daughter Miss Margaret Law, well known in the City for the active interest taken in educational and war-time work.
In 1920 Coralie Ava and Margaret Constance Duncan were living at 2 North Parade, Bradford with Hawksworth Hall as their abode. In 1921 they were at 2 Parkfield Road, Bolton, Bradford in two unfurnished rooms still with Hawksworth Hall as their abode. This continued until 1924 when just Coralie was there, with Thornfield, Keighley Road was her abode.
In 1925 William Kenneth Law was a GWR Shareholder along with Gustavus J J Hoffman and William Earnest Tetley of Ickleton Lodge, Ickleton, Duxford, Cambridgeshire, Solicitor, who had just died on 19 July 1925. The £1240 of shares were transferred on 14 August to Gustav J J Hoffman of Rookwood, Manningham, Bradford and William Kenneth Law, Stuff Merchant, of Wharfemead, Ilkley and returned to Wade Tetley Wade Co. of 8 Piccadilly, Bradford.
Also, in 1925 Coralie Ava and Margaret Constance Duncan were living at Thornfield, Keighley Road, Heaton, Bradford with Emily Law their mother [where had she been since 1901?!] now sharing Margaret’s room. This continued to 1929.
In 1928 William Kenneth Law was still a GWR Shareholder with Gustavus J J Hoffman of 4 Victor Road, Manningham, Bradford, Yarn Merchant, who had just died at Manningham on 11 April 1928. The £1,240 of shares were transferred on 13 June to William Kenneth Law, Stuff Merchant, of Wharfemead, Ilkley and returned to Wade Tetley Wade Co. of 8 Piccadilly, Bradford.
On 8 August 1930 Coralie Ava Law ran a Girl Guide camp being Divisional Commissioner for the past 10 years. She was also President of the YWCA.
In 1939 Ralph Arnold Law was staying at the Midland Station Hotel, Victoria Street, St. Albans, Hertfordshire, a Woollen Manufacturers Representative. He died 14 April 1961 age 69 in Wandsworth, London. His postal address was 103 Oakwood Court, Kensington, London and he died in Queen Mary’s Hospital, Roehampton, London. Probate was proved on 9 June 1961 in London, granted to William Kenneth Law, textile manufacturer with Effects of £2,153 4s 2d.
Also, in 1939 Elsie Millicent Ross née Law was living at 28 Victor Road, Manningham, Bradford a widow on Private Means. Her husband Adam William Ross had died 12 March 1931 in Bradford age 70. She died on the 3 December 1967 at Walden, Butler’s Cross, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. Probate was in Oxford on 27 February 1968; Effects £9059 [c. £158K in today’s money]
Robert James Law was a Lodger as an Agricultural Pupil at Turnpike Street, Coxton-Keyrial (Leicester), Grantham, Leicestershire in 1881, age 27.
Robert married Sarah Stonham (b. 13 November 1860 at Hollingbourne, Maidstone, Kent) Oct-Dec 1886 at Hollingbourne, Maidstone, Kent. In 1891 they lived at 30 Tonbridge Road, Maidstone, Kent, he living on his own means, with their daughter Lesley Ann Law b. 24 February 1888 at Maidstone, Kent. They had 2 young, female servants: General Servant and a Nurse. By 1901 they had moved to Dover in Kent, living at 20 Folkestone Road. He is still living on his own means with his wife Sarah and daughter Lesley and now with a son Ronald Law b. 1894 in Maidstone, Kent. Also living with them was Sarah’s mother Frances Killick age 66 and living on her own means, born in Stockbury (between Maidstone and Sittingbourne), Kent. They had 2 18-year-old female servants from Dover: Cook and a House Maid.
Robert James Law died on 7 February 1902 at Bolton House, Bradford age 49 and is buried in Undercliffe Cemetery.
In 1911 we find Sarah Law, a widow, at 4 Park Avenue still in Dover, living on her own means, still with her mother living on her own means too and also her daughter Lesley also living on her own means! They had 2 Domestic Servants: Cook & House Maid plus a Sick Nurse.
By 1939 Sarah Law and her daughter Lesley A Law had moved from Dover to 26 Jevington Gardens, Eastbourne, Sussex, she being widowed and both of them on Private Means.
Helen (or Ellen) Duncan Law married John Frederic Harrison Jan-Mar 1878 in Bradford and had a son Benjamin Alan Duncan Harrison. In 1881 they were living at Rawdon Hall, Rawdon, Wharfedale, Yorkshire.
John F Harrison was 32 years old then (b. 1849 in Bradford) and a Worsted Wool Comber Master employing c. 150 men & 70 women. Their son Benjamin Alan Duncan Harrison was with them age 2 born at Rawdon. They had 4 female General Servants from 19 to 45 years old. In Jul-Sep 1890 Helen had passed away at Bradford age 35 and buried at St Michael the Archangel Churchyard, Kirkby Malham, Craven District, North Yorkshire.
In 1891 John Frederic Harrison, widower, was living at Halton Hall, Main Road, West Halton, Settle, Yorkshire with his son (Benjamin) Alan Duncan Harrison a Scholar age 12, his sister-in-law Anne A Hoffman and a visiting Physician & Surgeon Walter Denby. They had 7 servants: Coachman, Joiner, Gamekeeper, Butler, Housekeeper, House Maid & Kitchen Maid. He died on 14 March 1900 in Christchurch (near Bournemouth), Dorset and buried with his wife. In the Wakefield Probate Register entry for 14 May 1900, he was referred to as John Frederic Harrison Esq. of Crake-moor, Hellifield, Skipton, Yorkshire and of Bradford. Probate was granted to Algernon Dewhurst cotton-spinner and Gustavus Adolphus Steinthal merchant. Effects: £56104 15s. 3d.
Anne Avery Law married Gustavus Julius James Hoffman Oct-Dec 1879 in Bradford. He was born in 1855 in Belgium, a naturalised British subject by his father being naturalised in 1875 and sometimes known as Gustav Hoffman. In 1881 they were living at Rookwood, 4 Victor Road, Manningham, Bradford, he a Yarn Merchant, with their son Cecil Duncan Hoffman b. Oct-Dec 1880 in Bradford. They had 3 Domestic Servants: Cook, Housemaid and Nurse. By 1901 they were still at Rookwood, he a Worsted Yarn Merchant, with Cecil age 20 and 3 Domestic Servants: Cook and 2 Housemaids. By 1911 Gustavus was still at Rookwood but on his own as a Wool Top & Yarn Merchant being looked after by 2 Domestic Servants: Cook and Housemaid.
Gustavus Julius James Hoffman supported a motion at a Liberal meeting at Brighouse Town Hall on 14 October 1884 to express unabated confidence in Mr. Gladstone’s government in passing the Franchise Bill; passed an exam prior to promotion to Captain in the Yorkshire Militia & Volunteer Corps on 17 August 1887; was appointed onto the Commission of the Peace of Bradford Town Council on 12 December 1888; on 15 June 1891 he was present at the laying of the memorial stone for the Liberal Club House in Westcroft Road, the building being estimated to cost £4000; and was a Shareholder in the Great Western Railway (GWR), having a 4% Debenture in a stock of £5000.
Col. Gustav Hoffman JP died on 11 April 1928 in Manningham, Bradford. Probate on 7 July 1928 was granted to his wife Anne Avery Hoffman, including her part of the GWR stock at £2,640. His wife was still living at Rookwood, 4 Victor Road in 1939 being a widow of Independent Means with Alice Kemp her Domestic Servant. Anne Avery Hoffman née Law died Apr-Jun 1944 age 87 at Bradford.
Leonora Law married William Henry Horrocks Jul-Sep 1896 in Bradford. William was b. Jul-Sep 1857 in Liverpool, Lancashire to William Henry Horrocks and his wife Hannah, and baptised on 14 January 1858 at St Peter. In 1901 they were living at 157 Grosvenor Place, Bradford, Dr. William a Surgeon on his own account, with a daughter Leonora Helen Horrocks b. 1898 and a son William Duncan Alderson Horrocks b. 1900, both in Bradford, and William was baptised on 15 May 1901 at St Luke’s Church in Liverpool. They had 3 Domestic Servants: Cook, Housemaid and Nurse.
In January 1902, from the Leeds College of Music results of the exam held in December, Dr. Watson examined students for certificates. Among those successful was W D Horrocks for 2nd Grade (of 4) violin.
In 1911 we find Leonora with her daughter now 13 and a Scholar at 2 Oak Avenue, Bradford, a widow on Private Means and 3 servants: Cook, Sewing Maid & Parlour Maid. Her husband William had passed away Oct-Dec 1910 in Bradford age 53. So, where was her son William Duncan Horrocks? Nowhere to be found in 1911 but by 1922 he was residing at 21 Park Drive, Heaton, Bradford with Leonora Horrocks. This continued until 1925. Leonora Horrocks died 20 May 1929 in Bradford age 68. Probate was in London on 29 June 1929 and granted to her son and daughter; Effects: £2149 14s 1d. At that time, she had been a GWR shareholder living at 1 Spring Bank Place, Manningham, Bradford, a widow, formerly of Ashleigh Park Drive, Heaton; the shares were transferred on 29 June 1929 to William Duncan Alderson Horrocks, Dyers Representative & Leonora Helen Duncan Horrocks, Spinster c/o Wade Tetley Hill & Co., 8 Piccadilly, Bradford in the sum of £11430. [Just under £0.75M in today’s money]
In 1930-31 William Duncan Alderson Horrocks was living on his own in rooms at 13 Eldon Place, Bradford.
He married Edith Horsfall, only daughter of Mr & Mrs C. Horsfall of Moorlands, Idle at 12.30 on 1 June 1932 at St. Barnabus Church, Heaton, Bradford. For several years he was captain of the ‘A’ team of the Bradford Rugby Club.
Lillian Eveline Law married William Earnest Tetley Jul-Sep 1889 in Bradford. He was b. Jan-Mar 1861 in East Witton, Layburn, Yorkshire. In 1901 they were living at 1 Selbourne Terrace, Bradford, William a Solicitor (Employer), with their daughter Avery Caroline Tetley b. Jul-Sep 1890 in Bradford (baptised on 22 October 1890 in Bentley, Hampshire!) and son William Gerald Tetley b. Jan-Mar 1893 in Bradford (baptised on 7 April 1893 in Bentley, Hampshire!). They had 3 Domestic Servants: Cook, Housemaid and Nurse.
In 1911 they had moved to 26 Park Drive, Heaton, Bradford. Their daughter Avery was now 20 and their son William 18 and a Scholar. They still had 3 servants: Cook, Housemaid and now a Sewing Maid.
In 1920 they had moved to 8 Park Drive, Heaton but not with their daughter Avery. She had married Arthur Lionel Routh Jan-Mar 1913 in Bradford. He was b. Apr-Jun 1877 in Cambridge, Cambridgeshire.
William Earnest Tetley and his wife Lillian and son William continued living at 8 Park Drive until 1923, but in 1924-25 only William and his wife were still there. Their son William Gerald Tetley had married Laura Gill Oct-Dec 1923 in Bradford. She was b. Apr-Jun 1893 in Wharfedale and the same age as her husband – quite different to his sister who married someone 14 years younger than her!
William Earnest Tetley d. 19 July 1925 at Ickleton Lodge, Ickleton, between Duxford and Great Chesterfield, Cambridgeshire. Probate: London on 13 October 1925 to Lilian (sic) Eveleen (sic) Tetley, widow, William Gerald Tetley and Arthur Lionel Routh farmers. Effects: £41,522 4s. [Just over £2.5M in today’s money]
Lillian Eveline Tetley née Law d. 27 September 1947 at Ickleton Lodge, Ickleton, Cambridgeshire. Probate: London on 17 December 1947 to William Gerald Tetley farmer, Malcolm Walter Hill solicitor & Estyn Newton Roberts insurance broker. Effects: £4,908 17s.
Note regarding the company mentioned through the above:
Wade Tetley Wade & Co. of 8 Piccadilly, Bradford was established in 1810. At some point they changed their name to Wade Tetley Hill & Co. a firm of solicitors until it was dissolved on 31 December 1941. The business then became Wade & Co., now Wade Ceramics Ltd. based in Stoke-on-Trent whose products are now collectibles e.g., a Tetley Tea Wade set of 6 monks for £65. Other brands associated are Harrods, Thorntons, Cadbury, etc.
The Law family grave is in Uncon A518
Research by David Broomfield